Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Peer Review for Italian Renaissance

I first reviewed Flor's post on the Italian Renaissance. I enjoyed her description of wall finishes. This was a subject I had not paid much attention to at first. Residential walls were divided horizontally in to bands. The wall consisted of a base at the floor with the actual wall being plaster, was adorned with frescoes, or marble or wood paneling with wall hangings of leather or fabric. Tapestries were also hung. The floors on the other hand were made of wood and brick or tile were for the more sophisticated. Turkish carpets were possible, but not common. Ceilings wee lined with joists and coffered and sometimes adorned with beautiful frescoes. I am so glad Flor decided to focus on the residential interior. This was a part I did not talk about in my blog but was definitely an important aspect of the Italian Renaissance. So interesting to see when our field of study started becoming important and noticed!

I also had the chance to look at Sam's Blog. I was interesting to see that like me, Sam had a previous art class she referred to repeatedly throughout her blog. It is neat that we can remember little aspects from other classes to add to the knowledge we are obtaining from this class. She also, like me, had learned about the Medici family and included some thoughts out their importance in her blog.  I learned about the Foudling Hospital for unwanted kids and orphans. This structure came from Brunelleschi and his invention of linear perspective, which shows the revelation of science and ideology in the Italian Renaissance. In this building, he included everything  in cubes and goes to a common vanishing point, and was the first to put arches on top pf columns.In addition. beautiful current applications. I would love to have a wedding at either location!

No comments:

Post a Comment